Friday, January 15, 2010

Five Senses Friday!

Five Senses Friday is an idea I got from Abby (see her wonderful blog to the left). I have only done it once before, but it is a nice time to sit and reflect on all of the different sensory experiences I have had in the past week and share them with you!

Seeing: Neolithic Chinese Bronze Vessels
(I'm taking a class: The History of Chinese Art)

This adorable little tripod vessel was used to heat food and as ceremonial serving ware.


Called a Gu, this is a wine cup. There have been many Gus discovered by archeologists, and they are most often found in sets of 4 or 8. They were made from bronze, which has a high lead concentration. Some Emperors drank a lot of wine from these cups, and there is thought to be connection between short dynasties and the effects of lead on one's mind.


My personal favorite: the Zun vessel. My professor described the Zun as the "Chinese version of the bucket." This is the most beautiful bucket I have ever seen.


Hearing: Ezra saying three and four syllable words! That's it, he's a genius. Examples from his repertoire are...

(Skateboarder)

(Helicopter)

(Just today he started to say Caterpillar)

Touching
:
my sore eyes. I think my rubbing them is making them worse. I have been doing a lot of reading this week and I am wondering if I should get some glasses. I have always secretly wanted glasses, and in the 2nd grade I almost fooled the optometrist into a proscription. I think I would like one of these styles:

Smelling: the patchouli sage bar of soap my dear mother gave me for Christmas. I have been using it everyday. I love hand made soap so.

(Soap carving!)

Tasting:
coffee. I never drink coffee. This week I have drank a cup a day. Just one. I don't know how I feel about it yet. I don't want to be addicted to coffee. I don't think I am. Yet.



No comments:

Friends