Friday, July 25, 2008

Swell Birthday

Yesterday I officially joined the 26 years old club! Very exciting. My dear mother sent the flower arrangement. My favorite are the blue hydrangeas. They look like butterflies. Ezra likes to pull out the petals. He also likes to make a new high pitched squeak/scream after hearing an ambulance for the first time. He is a little overwhelmed by all the traffic. When we go for walks he watches the cars with eyes like saucers. My poor country baby. I know he will adjust.

I had a very nice birthday. My good friend Lisa took us out for dinner at a local place inspired by southern cuisine. Called Miss Delta you can get collard greens, po boys, and black eyed peas. I had the blackened catfish and it was deeeeeelicious. I had a fancy cocktail too called the Farmer's Daughter that was very good. It had muddled cucumber, vodka, sour and cranberry juice. Very summertime.

After dinner we went over to another friend's house who were having a bbq and I ate even more deeeeeeeeeelicious food. There was also a three teared chocolate cake with green frosting that was tasty too. A lot of friends were there and it was so wonderful to see them all again. It's been hard sometimes but it makes me feel so good to have such a supportive group of people to welcome me. I'm crying again! Sheesh.

One thing that's been harder than I anticipated is answering the questions about Ezra's father. I hadn't had to talk about it in awhile. It chokes me up to say "I am a single mom." Clearly I've known this for a long while but to say it out loud is bringing up feelings. I take deep breaths.

I should take a lesson from a lady at the post office this morning. She was calling every man in the place her baby's daddy. I'm staying in the 'multi racial' part of town and they sure laugh more than us crackers. Everything takes a little bit longer cause you gotta let the chuckle out real nice and slow. It's comforting.

Maybe Ezra will learn to chuckle next.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I'm digging these photographs. Keep 'em coming.

Happy belated. As a former member of the 26 club, I can say with confidence you have a good year ahead of you.

Friends