Thursday, July 17, 2008

Greetings!

Welcome to the Blog, folks.

I have decided it is in better taste to blog rather than send out massive e-mails. I don't want to clog anyone's box. This way I am just here, whenever you need me, waiting with tidbits and tales.

First, I must address those grammarian readers who are dismayed at my titular choice. Yes, certainly I am aware the proper way is "My Guy and I", however, I like the ring of the grammatically incorrect version. My late grandfather shakes his finger from above, after all those years of insisting on correct usage. Please forgive me, I will do my best to honor your memory otherwise, by appropriate usage of the apostrophe.

For those who don't know the late Les Ottman he was very strict about grammar, in particular the apostrophe. He was also an all star speller, having won the senior spelling bee the previous three years in a row preceding his passing. We're all sad to have him go, except for the poor sap who's come in second all these years.

Moving right along. Some of you may remember that me and my guy are soon to be embarking on a big move across the country. Indeed we have much to prepare. There's nothing like needing to do something to make you do all the other things you've been meaning to do for weeks instead. For example, creating a blog after cleaning the bathroom after untangling your necklaces after organizing your underwear drawer. I'm sure we'll get it all together by Sunday when we leave.

We'll be taking the Empire Builder train, leaving at midnight and arriving on Tuesday late morning. Luckily we have some excellent company lined up including one of my best friends and her infant son. The two babes have met and are unsure of one another just yet. They like to stare and the older one likes to touch the eyeballs of the younger. They have ridden in the car together, which neither particularly enjoys, and were wailing in unison until Grandma and I sang Bingo and My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean. That quieted them.

We will be living close to each other and I'm sure they'll be great friends eventually.

The other gal who'll be joining us on the train is actually a woman I worked with in Honduras, who lived in my apartment after I came home to the States! How random is life. I look forward to hearing all the dirt I missed out on at school.

I am sad to be leaving Minnesota, especially since the weather is perfect finally. I have to be leaving a place to fully appreciate it. My little Hackensack has really grown on me. This morning I went to say goodbye to the gals at the gym where I've been going. We got big hugs and warm wishes. They saw me go from hugely pregnant to 4 month mama. You know I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for an hour the day before the birth, right? They were pretty nervous watching my belly bob but it did do the trick.

I will miss the Beths at the bank, how they call me when I am overdrawn and don't charge me fees. How I don't even have to tell them my name or account number, they just know. I will miss the lovely lake breeze and sunlight reflecting off the water, dancing on the walls in the afternoon. The amazing sunsets and taking rides in the old pontoon, too.

Most of all I will miss my mom. She has helped us so much in the past six months I don't know where we'd be without her. I know she has enjoyed this time too, watching our Bunsy grow and change everyday. It's hard to think about life without her swooping him away when I need to get something done. She's an excellent model of exactly the kind of mother I want to be. One that is caring, loving, supportive, helpful and a great friend. I understand more what it is to be a mother now, I would sacrifice everything for my child. I learned that from my mom and it is a great feeling.

Ok, dry your eyes, enough of that emotional stuff.

We gotta move, make a life for ourselves. The plan for Portland is to continue my university studies. I have about 2 years left for my BA and then I want to be certified to teach in Montessori education. After teaching those second graders I know I want to be a teacher. I'm so good at it! Well, I have much more to learn but I know it will be a fulfilling, happy, summers off job that I will enjoy. And then I can teach at the school where Pumpky attends and we can continue to be together ALL THE TIME.

The thing we must do first is find housing. Anyone got one? Not to worry, we do have a place to stay until we find a permanent home, but I prefer to not live out of a suitcase. I have replied to several ads but not too many folks are hip to living with a babykins. One lady was but she has a herding dog that goes nuts around kittens, much less babies. There's always something. I am sure that the perfect place will come. I would just like to know when. God?
Hopefully the next post will be full of certainties and rejoice.

Until then take care, and come see us often. (I might put some ads up to try and make some dough off this thing, when that happens you should come very often, with friends!)

6 comments:

Mama Murdock said...

Well, well! What a pleasant surprise! And how appropriate that I am the very first to respond to your new blog. My eyes DID well up when reading your thoughts and feelings about my contributions to your life. It's great to feel appreciated, when one gives so generously and completely. I will always be there for you! All my love (well, not ALL my love, but LOTS of it anyway) and best wishes for the upcoming chapters of your lives (you and my Ezra boy). My thoughts and prayers are with you always. Mucho amor - Mom/Abuelita

Linda Thiltgen said...

Thank you to Mama Murdock for the link to your blog. I am a friend, going way back to your Christ Lutheran days...
Best wishes for your new adventure!
I so can relate with not really appreciating my Mom (well, I appreciated her, but not to the depths) until I had a child. It continues. With each year I grow I experience more understanding and compassion and love for my Mom. My heart aches for you, Linda, knowing you'll be apart form your loves. Here's a hug and a whole bunch a love for you, too.

Jeff said...

Actually, "me and my guy" is grammatically correct as long as the two of you are the object in a sentence, such as "This blog is about me and my guy." You're grandpa would be proud.

Glad to see your new blog. I'm going to post a link here from my own. That might increase your traffic by three people a month...

marla sanvick said...

A very good idea, this blog. It's much more pleasant to look at! Those calming dots!

I WILL be there this weekend! I have to leave MKE on Saturday so I will be into ER early evening. Can't wait to see you and Bunz!

michael rak said...

It sure was great to have dinner with you and the guy at Zorbaz'z last night. We are surely going to miss you both very much. I especially will miss those smiles and cheerful disposition of the bundle of joy big boy! We will have to visit this winter to see how much Ezra has grown. Let me know if you need any of your stuff here at the house and if you need help in any way. Have a smooth journey on the train, Love ya, Dad and Nate

Raia said...

Great blog! It's already book-marked on my computer. I am looking forward to reading all about the adventures you two have. Good luck on the move and happy early birthday!

Friends