Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Citified


This shot, provided by Mr. Connoy, captures our last afternoon in Minnesota. This was taken at Hidden Beach in Minneapolis (if you don't know where it is I'm not telling). We had a delightful picnic of fine foods including fresh baguette, walnut blue cheese spread, sushi, spring rolls, hummus, grapes, cherries, blueberries, and sparkling water. The weather was warm and the beach was packed. Some, including me, took a dip in the cool, refreshing waters. A very nice send off. Thanks to all who came.

That night we boarded the train at around midnight. The babes were already sleeping as we got on the packed full train. We had a hard time finding a seat at first, but women with babies inspire kindness thankfully. We were rocked to sleep by the clickety clack. I like the train, it's a fine mode of transport, but I will say a full day spent on the train is a long one. I put off looking at my watch for what felt like a loooong time. When I finally did I felt like it was sometime in the afternoon. It was 11:15.

Luckily the man who ran the refreshments was friendly and kept us mildly entertained with his long winded intercom announcements. Even better he gave us free creme brulee cheesecake. Ladies with babies, I'm telling you, we inspire.

Ezra loved the train. He slept really well and fell in love with his new friend Nikkie. She is the friend I met in Honduras who was on the train also. He didn't pay any attention to the scenery when she was around. He was always cooing and squealing. He even threw up on her. Now she smells like sour milk like the rest of us.

So now we're in Portland! It is a little overwhelming so far. Very noisy. Lots of people/traffic/sirens/stimulation. It makes me think that I don't want to live in a city. I need to be here to finish school but when I'm done get me out of this concrete jungle.

It's great to see friends again. There are many yet to see! Thursday is my birthday (26!) and I hope to have a croquet match following a visit to Pix Patisserie, a local gourmet sweet shop that I have been thinking about for the past 2 years since I left here. They have chocolate covered, marsapone stuffed figs.

Yes, I enjoy food.

It's been a long day and I better get to bed. We made it!

1 comment:

Raia said...

Happy Birthday Sister! I wanted to call you but realized I do not have a number to reach you at. I am glad you, E and pals all made it to Portland safe and sound. Keep the posts coming with pictures! Hope you had a great first birthday as a mom

Love,

Raia and Jeff

Friends